The Logistics Sector has an aging workforce. Employers are desperate to attract young people into the sector but the sector suffers from a poor image. Young People often don’t consider Logistics as a career of first choice or think it’s just driving or warehouse work and low paid jobs. Research shows that the term ‘logistics’ is misunderstood by almost two thirds of 14-19 year olds.
To tackle this problem, Skills for Logistics and partners have developed a range of free to use Information, Advice and Guidance (IAG) resources for use by the sector, schools, colleges and providers. To access these please click on the following links:
Delivering your Future
Made in China
Business on the Move
Skills for Logistics is doing much more than providing resources. We are helping logistics businesses to actively engage with schools and the wider education sector in their locality. With our dedicated support and guidance we are helping the sector to:
- Deliver talks in schools and colleges
- Deliver Enterprise and Challenge days in schools. Click on the link to see our ‘Made in China’ Case Studies
- Create new work experience placements for young people
- Organise visits for pupils and education staff to local logistics employers
- Organise mock interviews with employers
Key achievements so far include:
- Over 17,000 school children reached through our IAG products.
- 108 employers trained on our school/education engagement tools
- Over 230 schools engaging with our IAG products
- Over 40 employers involved in the delivery of ‘Made in China’
- Over 400 school and college pupils attended ‘Made in China’ events
“It is essential that logistics employers continue to work with schools, colleges and universities to let young people know about the exciting career opportunities that exist in the Logistics Sector”.
Chris Dolby, Learning & Development Manager, Norbert Dentressangle
For more information or to get involved, please contact us at [email protected]