Apprenticeships in Scotland
A Modern Apprenticeship is a way for young people and adult learners to earn while they learn in a real job, gaining a real qualification and a real future. Hiring Modern Apprentices helps businesses to grow their own talent by developing a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce.
The Logistics Sector needs intelligent and highly motivated young people who are keen to carve out a career for themselves in a dynamic and growing sector.
Modern Apprenticeships provide a valuable entry route into the Logistics Sector and are focused at four levels: Modern Apprenticeships at SVQ Level 2 and SVQ level 3, Technical Apprenticeships at Level 4 and Professional Apprenticeships at Level 5+.
A Modern Apprenticeship offers the opportunity to gain valuable skills in one of four areas:
- Warehouse – this involves organising the handling, storage, packing and movement of goods in and out of the warehouse.
- Professional Drivers – this involves driving vehicles ranging from a motorbike to a 38 tonne truck (depending on the licence held) with a valuable cargo on board.
- Maritime– this covers a range of careers from sea fishing to port operations to working in the Merchant Navy on the deck or in the engine room.
- Procurement – this involves the preparation and processing of a product or service as well as the end receipt and approval of payment
Modern Apprentices are employed and will have a a written agreement between them and their employer – the Modern Apprenticeship Training Agreement. The Agreement sets out what the apprentice will do for their employer, what the employer will do for their apprentice and is a detailed training plan. This means both employer and apprentice will know exactly what is expected to be achieved, how and where the training will take place and when the training will be reviewed. This enables the apprentice and their employer to chart the progress of the Modern Apprenticeship.
What’s in a Modern Apprenticeship?
Modern Apprenticeships are at Level 2 and 3 and provide the apprentice with on and off-the-job practical training, a chance to earn while they learn and opportunities to progress.
Modern Apprenticeships consist of an SVQ along with five Core Skills – Communication, Numeracy, Working with Others, ICT and Problem Solving. There are four Modern Apprenticeship frameworks available:
- Freight Logistics – incorporating SVQs in Driving Goods Vehicles (Level 2 & Level 3), Warehousing & Storage (Level 2 & Level 3), Logistics Operations Management (Level 3 only) and Supply Chain Management (Level 2 & Level 3)
- Maritime Occupations – incorporating SVQs in Maritime Studies: Able seafarer/tug rating (deck) (Level 2) and Maritime Studies: Sea fishing (Level 2)
- Procurement – incorporating the SVQ in Procurement (Level 3) – NEW JUNE 2014
- Supply Chain Management – incorporating SVQ in Supply Chain Management (Level 4) and SVQ in Supply Chain Management (Level 5)
These qualifications are highly regarded in the industry and prove an employee’s competence to do their job. What’s more the award is a good stepping stone to further training.
For information on careers in logistics –