Apprenticeships in Northern Ireland
An Apprenticeship is a way for young people and adult learners to earn while they learn in a real job, gaining a real qualification and a real future. Hiring apprentices helps businesses to grow their own talent by developing a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce.
The Logistics Sector needs intelligent and highly motivated people who are keen to carve out a career for themselves in a dynamic and growing sector. Apprenticeships provide a valuable entry route into the Logistics Sector and are focused at two levels: Level 2 and Level 3.
An Apprenticeship offers the opportunity to gain valuable skills in the following three areas:
- Traffic Office – this involves route planning and organising loads to ensure goods reach their destination on time and in good condition.
- Warehouse – this involves organising the handling, storage, packing and movement of goods in and out of the warehouse.
- Professional Drivers – this involves driving vehicles ranging from a motorbike to a 38 tonne truck (depending on the licence held) with a valuable cargo on board.
Apprenticeships are made binding by a written agreement between the apprentice and their employer – the training agreement. The Agreement sets out what the apprentice will do for their employer, what the employer will do for their apprentice and is a detailed training plan. This means both employer and apprentice will know exactly what is expected to be achieved, how and where the training will take place and when the training will be reviewed. This enables the apprentice and their employer to chart the progress of the Apprenticeship.
Apprenticeships are at Level 2 and 3 and provide the apprentice with on and off-the-job practical training, a chance to earn while they learn and opportunities to progress. Apprenticeships consist of an integrated knowledge/competence qualification, an employee’s rights and responsibilities qualification and essential skills qualifications in Maths and English.
There are eight Apprenticeship frameworks available:
- Warehousing and Storage at Level 2
- Driving Goods Vehicles at Level 2
- Supply Chain Management at Level 2
- Traffic Office at Level 2
- Logistics Operations at Level 3
- Driving Goods Vehicles at Level 3
- Supply Chain Management at Level 3
- Traffic Office at Level 3
These qualifications are highly valued by employers and prove an employee’s competence to do the job. What’s more, the Apprenticeship is a good stepping stone to further training.
For general information about Apprenticeships – The Northern Ireland Apprenticeship website
For information on careers in logistics – Delivering Your Future
To find the latest copy of each of the Apprenticeship frameworks –
Level 2 frameworks
Level 3 frameworks